Wednesday, September 18, 2013

From research to book trailers

As the last 5th grader printed out their citations from NoodleTools today I breathed a sigh of relief. A lot of information was covered in the four days I had with them. We went over plagiarism, taking notes, paraphrasing, searching databases, and citing their material with the aid of NoodleTools. Whew!



Now that they are off on the right foot for research in the coming year, it's time to move on to the next class. Over the next week, I'll be working with the 5th and 6th graders on using the library catalog and taking part in this year's book recommendation program that I discussed in a previous post. We'll go over searching the catalog and putting books on hold. Follett Destiny is fairly easy to navigate, but the kids still have to be shown where everything is located. In addition to the handwritten book reviews I'll be introducing them to Novelist and hopefully have them create their own book trailers...later on.

As a source of inspiration (hopefully), I created a book trailer for Doll Bones using Slide.ly. I've used JayCut and Animoto in the past, but due to the addition of subscription fees or transitioning to a Black Berry format(?), I needed to find something else. It was easy to upload photos and I simply typed the text in word, took a screen shot, and saved them as a jpeg in order to upload them. There's a plethora of music to choose from, which is credited automatically. I included the links to the pictures I used at the end. Also, the effects are simple, but effective. I'll definitely be using this tool again!

Doll Bones, by Holly Black by Slidely - Slideshow maker

No comments:

Post a Comment