Friday, September 12, 2014

The Book Whisperer, by Donalyn Miller

With the 40 book challenge well under way, it's about time I finished The Book Whisperer, by Donalyn Miller! I've never taught English Language Arts or Reading before, but I would say anyone who is, has aspirations of doing so, or works with those that do (librarians) should take the time to flip through the pages of this book.

Miller draws a great deal from her own experiences and practices while weaving in research and findings from scholars in the education field. There is no denying her passion for igniting a passion in every student to not only read in her class, but continue to devour books long after they leave her room. Miller discusses how reading is not only a proven way to perform better on tests, but to connect with students and friends, stating, "If I have ever brought you a book unasked for, know that I cared. I said everything to you that I wanted to with that book" (172). 

As teachers, we (maybe it's just me) often think that we aren't doing our job properly if we aren't at the front of the class talking away. To allot large chunks of time for reading seems lazy(?), but Miller assures us that this is time well spent. This is time that the instructor can use to meet with students, read their journals, or read themselves in order to better recommend books to students with any and all tastes. 

I know that this a book I will reference for years to come and I can't wait to crack open her most recent book, Reading in the Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment